Re: [MV] Radios for M151/etc.

From: Rich Weinkauf (RWeinkauf@msn.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 16:27:41 PDT

> NOTE......At the risk of being called a "party pooper" I should
> point out to those of us here in Michigan that the use of radios that can
> pick up police frequencies is against the law. The RT-68 radio will pick
up
> Michigan State Police radios. You cannot have these radios (working) in
> vehicle with out a license! My advise is to keep the "dogbone" connector
> in your tool box when not using the set. If you are questioned about the
> radio it will be a legal "non-working" set.

Or, as you pointed out, Jim, just pass the 35-question test to obtain your
Technician class Amateur Radio License and you can legally possess radios in
vehicles capable of receiving these frequencies. The bonus, of course, is
that you can transmit on the ham bands with some of this gear too.

Of course, just getting your Tech license doesn't mean that you'll run into
a cop that knows this particular nuance of the law, and he or she might
impound your gear anyway. Better to answer that the radio "isn't a scanner"
if asked.

Rich

Rich Weinkauf, N8QLT
HummerID: 97.5 Fly Yellow Wagon