Got my new Duece home!! :)

From: Andy Michalski (amichalski@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 18:54:12 PDT

Hi All,

Well, looks like I made out ok on my idea of getting a M35A2. Got the award
forms last Friday after passing that security background check for the first
time (faxed forms in beginning of May, about one month turn around time) and
went to the DRMO to fetch it today. Showed up in the morning with 2 group
31 batteries from my M1009, and crossed my fingers the whole time. The guy
in the lot drove up with a big forklift and offered to push it around to get
it started, but I had the batteries, so went this route. After about 10
seconds of cranking, she fired up for the first time in ???? months/years.
Runs pretty good. Got a crash course in big truck driving too, learned that
turning in tight sidestreets is an art form with this truck, and the manual
steering sure does make you work to get it turned at very slow speeds. Top
speed on the highway is about 50 mph, 55 if you floor it and leave a trail
of smoke behind you. You sure need to "Drive" this truck, especially in
stop and go traffic, I figure I will eventually get used to it.

Did some checking the truck, seems that the generator is not generating,
gotta pull it apart and see what is broken, good thing the truck uses no
electric to run, just drive it in the day so you dont need the headlights.
The water pump or its gasket is leaking a little bit, and the transfer case
is leaking from somewhere. Nothing that some tinkering and a tube of RTV,
or better yet, urethane cant handle.

I was surprised to find that it is not a turbo truck as I originally
thought, pays to pay attention when inspecting it. The motor is a LD 465
1C, anyone know what the reputation is for this motor? I think that it may
be the original motor, the contract date on the tag is 1970, couldn't see
any rebuild tag on it, runs pretty nice with 13K on it.

Best deal of the day was when I went to license it at the IL secretary of
state office. Title cost was the usual rip-off $65.00, tax was $25.00 since
it is so old, and the kicker...$25.00 for plates that are good till 2004!
These plates are the Antique Vehicle plates, best deal going for old army
trucks, sure beats the $78.00 a year for regular plates in this state. They
do make you sign something that says that you are to use it to and from
shows, or demonstration, etc. I figure that I will be demonstrating it to
myself quite a bit :). Insurance through State Farm is $195.00 for 6
months, this is pending if they figure out what a Kaiser M35A2 is and change
their mind, I don't think that they will however, I did tell the agent that
it was a deuce and a half 3 axle truck.

Anyway, that is the rundown of the Deuce mission, not a bad way to spend $2K
burning a hole in your pocket.

Andy