Cleaning a Gas Can

From: Ian Wallace (iwallace@uswest.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 18:17:13 PDT

List - is there an effective way to clean a NATO gasoline can? I have a
"vintage" can that was left empty for some time and has accumulated a fair
amount of "grunge" inside. The overall condition of the can is quite good,
and although it's primary purpose is for appearance purposes, there are
occasions when I would like to use it as an extra gas supply.

I'm aware of the various gas tank treatments, but first the "crud" has to
come out. I thought of making som sort of fixture, putting a bunch of metal
scrap of some kind inside, and slowly tumbling the can for a day or so. What
about a sand or media blaster? I wonder if it would get all the corners,
expecially at the top. A spare can of gas isn't going to be much good if it
pours lumps of "stuff" into the fuel tank...

Ian Wallace
1960 Mk 2/3 Ferret