Post WWII jeeps

From: Jim Allen (jimallen@onlinecol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 13:06:38 PDT

        The only post WWII military production Jeep before the M-38 (model
MC), was the CJ-V35/U of 1950. It was a militarised version of the CJ-3A
with a waterproofed engine and a 12 or 24 volt generator for powering
radios, plus a few other GI accoutrements. It was built between March and
June of 1950 as a beachmaster's vehicle for the Navy to the tune of only
about 1,000 units. M-38 production began in September of '50, so the
CJ-V35/U doesn't predate it by much.
        As to Toyota's involvment in Korea, I would like to see
documentation (sincerely, I crave new facts) that they actually saw use in
combat there. If so, it would run contrary to other accounts. I never say
never, but show me the beef! The Model BJ, for a time actually called
"Jeep" (until W-O wrote them a harshly worded letter), was introduced in
January of 1951 after about 5 months of development. I do know that it was
used by Japanese Defense Forces almost immediately and that some were sold
for use U.S. Occupation Forces in Japan. The Land Cruiser name was not
applied until 1954 and only to the new FJ-25 vehicle, which was
considerably different than the arlier rig.
        As to a "CJ-2M" or "MB-2," if such animals existed, I'd like to see
documentation. These terms don't show up in any official development
material I've seen. In the early '50s, "CJ-4M" and "CJ-4MAP" military
prototypes did exist as part of the development process of fitting the
F-head engine into the utility line, as did a civvy oriented CJ-4 prototype
(still extant). They were direct descendents of the Model MD, or M-38A1,
and the civilian CJ-3B.
        Anyway, probably more than anyone wanted to know!

        Jim Allen