Re: [MV] And youus never know where you'll find a perfect old MV!!!

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 21:28:59 PDT

From: Gordon W. Bell <bellsurveying@smithville.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 9:52 AM
Subject: [MV] And youus never know where you'll find a perfect old MV!!!

Guys,

Had to share this one. Just returned from Russia Monday night. In St
Petersburg last weekend ...I noticed an
old WW II Jeep (Willy I think but it was only a quick glance from a cab
traveling to fast and dodging pedestrians. It did have the fully pioneer kit
and USA Army Markings. ...
Would really love to know the story of that vehicle. I know we did a lot of
lend lease but, I would like to think of that trade that took place
somewhere along the Elba (Elbe). And what did Willy and Joe get for that old
Jeep
that they weren't going to be needing anymore? Where did Ivan hide the damn
thing when he got it home? There are a million questions and imaginations
can run wild....

A lot of Willys jeeps were provided to the Soviets after they changed sides
in June 1941. I have a photocopy of a 1942 Willys MB manual that had special
pages for the Canadian Contract jeeps (which were purchased, not Lend Lease)
AND a whole section in RUSSIAN for Russian contract jeeps.

Soviets also captured jeeps from the Germans who had captured them form
Cdn/UK/US forces etc. King Michael of Romania is an MV collector. He had a
jeep that was captured on the Eastern Front and it was given to him during
WWII by Romanian officers as I recall reading. He later got a jeep from the
OSS (predecessor of the CIA) which he still has and now owns a GP I believe.
(stories and photos in Wheels & Tracks magazine).

I think I have also seen a photo of a jeep in Soviet hands with British
airborne modifications. Likely captured in Normandy or Arnhem, and used on
the Eastern Front where the Soviets captured it.

Truth can be stranger -- and more interesting -- than fiction!

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB