Fw: [CJML] 42MB slat grill jeep for sale.

From: John M. Edwards (fly-fish@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 17:42:19 PDT

This was on the CJML list today. I would love to buy it but, alas, I live
in the middle of Mobile and don't have a place to work on it. I have no
knowledge of the jeep besides what you read here:

:>Way back when, I wrote to this list to brag about a 1942 MB slat
>grill jeep that I discovered. At the time, it was not for sale, but the
>owner is now wanting to clean house and is trying to sell it.
>I would like to see the jeep go to somebody that would use it in a
>restoration project instead of to somebody that will trash it.
>
>The jeep sits on site of a large construction company. Years ago it
>was used as a workhorse on site, but it has since been put out to
>pasture as a hunting vehicle and, more recently, hardly run at all.
>
>The serial number on the glove box plate of this MB is 122346.
>The date of Delivery is 2-25-42.
>The engine number was very difficult to read. I think that it
>read "M?117273".
>
>Here are my observations of the jeep (be sure to check out the
>pictures at the URL below!):
>
>The seats have been changed to newer bucket seats. The underseat
>gas tank is gone.
>
>The rear of the Jeep modified to install a gas tank and PTO winch.
>
>The "bed" of the jeep has been covered over to the height of the
>wheel wells.
>
>The rest of the Jeep is in good shape. The body is straight, and the
>owner kept a coat of paint on it to prevent rust. It's also very dry here
>in the TX panhandle which has helped keep rust to a minimum.
>
>The frame looks to be in decent shape. The frame horns on the front
>have been doctored to support the big grill guard (it's done it's job well,
>the grill is perfectly straight!). A tow bar is attached to the grill
>guard.
>
>I believe that the hood hinges are not original.
>
>The engine bay looks largely original. Many of the components under
>the hood were repainted years ago when the motor was overhauled.
>There is an electric fuel pump in the fuel line. The 6V generator has
>been swapped with an alternator. I forgot to check whether it has
>been converted to 12V.
>
>The gauges are all present. Do not know if they work. Driver controls
>look original. Windshield is straight and appears original.
>
>It has four NDT tires - one is mostly flat. Wheels look original.
>
>The floor has been butchered up some to install the PTO.
>
>The Jeep does run and has recently been used on hunting trips.
>I last saw it run a year ago.
>
>Pictures of the MB are on my web page at:
>
> http://users.arn.net/~usnick/42mb.html
>
>The price for the MB is $1500 OBO.
>
>Drop me a note at usnick@arn.net if interested. If somebody is
sufficiently
>interested, I could purchase the jeep and store it on my property for a
>while
>to ensure that it is available. Might even be able to haul the jeep to
meet
>buyer halfway if necessary. I live in the TX panhandle near Amarillo TX.
>
>Mark Usnick

>Classic Jeep Mailing List - For restoration oriented activities on classic
Jeeps
http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/jeep/jeeplists.htm