MV M38A1 Questions and Good News for Me

From: Amikesomm@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 19:55:00 PDT

Oh learned listmembers,
    Did CJ5's have the battery box with external cover just like the M38A1s??
 I flew over a guy's farm and it looked like a CJ5 (tailgate) but had the
bbox like the mil version. Should I go bother the guy?
    The good news is that I was able to reinstall the throwout lever and
retaining spring through the upper access cover in the bellhousing. Thanks to
the three guys who said "yes, it CAN be done". It actually wasn't the mind
bender they told me it was. Why, you ask, did I have to put one in? The
twits who reassembled the thing several years ago didn't adjust the clutch
linkage or put the tiny spring back in, so it FELL OFF while they were
driving it and bounced around the insides of the clutchpack until it
destroyed itself. The clutch forks are all even and everything else looks
ok. Oh, the brake linkage also fell apart while they were driving around the
farm, too. Unbelievable, especially since they had the manual and work as
aircraft mechanics. Sigh......
    This thing has been on the back burner for ever, and I'm now finally
putting it back together. Honestly, if it ain't worn out, it's broken or
just plain missing. If I get this flipping thing drivable, I get bragging
rights for the next six months.
Who knows what the sheetmetal gauge is on these M38A1s??? Were there NO
circuit breakers on these things?
And special thanks to my friend in Purcellville (who's name escapes me) who
gave me some old bits out of the kindness of his heart. I've ended up having
to use them ALL. Guess I owe him a beer, too.
Mike in VA
M37s
M151A1
WC62 hulk