Re: Jumpstarting

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 23:48:02 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Amikesomm@aol.com>
To: <Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>; <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 5:27 AM
Subject: Jumpstarting

> While it is not a good idea to jump off with a higher voltage, I have
> jumped 6 with 12 a lot by going from starter to ground and bypassing the
> battery alltogether:
> Like this -
> Ign on
> Pos to starter side of solenoid, then momentary neg to frame ground
(usually
> takes two people, one at the steering wheel of the vehicle being started
for
> some miniscule amount of safety) This does not work with manually
activated
> (foot) starters.
> This spins the engine up without shockcharging the battery. No, it's not
the
> best way, but it definitely is better than battery to battery stuff.

Mike suggests here a way to certainly get round the problem, however, you
need to be entirely sure and competent about what is to be done.

I had a private post from my namesake in the US referring to an acquaintance
with only one eye now after jump-starting a 6V with a 12V vehicle. Be
warned.

Richard
Southampton - England