CARC prep/depot rebuilding (longish)

From: Jay Keine (k9baylee@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 16:48:28 PDT

Hi again,

All this talk again about CARC has gotten me thinking again about how the
military rebuilds vehicles. Does anyone out there know what the process is
when a vehicle goes through a "depot rebuild?" Are all major components
exchanged, or just those in need of changing? Example do all axles, engines,
transmissions, transfer cases, etc. get changed out?

Then, how is the vehicle prepped for CARC application? My M35A2 appears to
have been media blasted, as the paint under the bed rail is a bit thicker
than the side of the bed. Is this the case? How are the windows, lights,
radiator, etc. protected during blasting? Is the vehicle washed down
(perhaps with a rust inhibitor?) or just blown off before painting? It seems
most interiors do not get treated with CARC from the depot, but some have
(as someone mentioned previously) rather crudely painted insides done at a
later point. Are these done by individual units, or are certain interiors
done for a reason at the depot?

Lots of questions, I know, but I've never found much info on this stuff
anywhere else, which brings up another question...Is there a TM for 'depot
rebuilding' like there is for most everything else?

Thanks everyone,

Jay