Re: [MV] increasing horsepower

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 06:16:46 PDT

>I'd agree with Joe, having the injection pump re-calibrated often makes a
>huge difference. Although the insides are artworks of the finest precision
>engineering they do wear, well, settle in really over many thousands of
>miles and with settings of sub-thou orders this can often mean full power
>demand actually results in something less than the engine can handle in
>fuel.

There's also the sulfur issue. Here in the US of A when they waived the
magic wand and cut the sulfer to a third of what it was (or whatever the cut
was, don't remember for sure) many older engines started having problems.
According to the pump shop the O rings, which take a set over time, would
still seal just fine but the lower sulfur fuel causes them to shrink ever so
slightly and if they were right at the edge then they would start leaking.
They had a rush of work right after the low sulfur fuel came on the scene.
Now, here in the US of A, our fearful leader is now waiving his arms again
and calling for the sulfur to be cut 97% from what it is now. I have not
talked to the pump shop lately but I wonder what effect this will have on
things? So, in a round about way, what I'm saying is, it's not a bad idea
to have an old pump looked over anyway. The bench fee for testing it is not
that much and it may save you much more down the road.

je