Re: [MV] Driving the GPW

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 20:03:32 PDT

In a message dated 6/16/00 5:38:26 PM Central Standard Time,
jneer@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Ditto... There's an advantage to driving my Deuce. Not that I would...But I
 could! ;-) >>

I have been repeatedly amazed at how people will pull out in front of, or
tailgate, or even try to crowd me off the road as I am driving my HMV, but I
have found the following things effective and entertaining (though I DO NOT
suggest you try this yourself!!!)

Crowding???? Appear to look the other way as my HMV "drifts" toward them.
Tailgating????That blackout light switch flipped to the UP position and
gentle application of the brakes seems to adjust their spacing.
Pull out in front of on open road??? Sound horn, don't change throttle
setting allows them to test their throttle response.
Pull out in front of in city (usually approaching traffic light)???Ease to a
stop REAL close to them.....they don't repeat it....
Oh, by the way, my HMV I have driven most in the past year is my M62 5 ton
wrecker, 33,000 lbs, which my have better results than the GPW!!! BUT.....
the stupid driver of the year 1999 went to the guy who had decided I was
driving my 2 1/2 ton compressor truck down a busy 2 lane road too slow for
him (50 MPH), so he decided to pass me on the shoulder. Unfortunately, I
didn't notice this until I was well into my signalled, legally executed right
turn. I literally touched the paint, and put on a new bumper (only cause I
had one, and I am a better unbolter than straightener), but his full size
custom Dodge van didn't fair quite so well. All the State Trooper could say
(to him) was "You can't drive on the shoulder, NOTHING else matters!!!"

DD