Re: [MV] Registering MV's

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 07:18:27 PDT

I registered my M-37 as a '51 Dodge, with a 3 digit VIN (from the dataplate). I
sent a series of very polite professional letters to the California DMV, and
they not only waived the 8 + years of non-registration that the chuckleheaded
previous owner amassed, but they didn't bat an eye when it came to issueing the
non-operational registration, and promised me that they would look into
establishing an efficient procedure for registering former military vehicles now
owned by private citizens.

My State Farm Insurance Agent's only adverse reaction was a double-take and a:
"You want to insure what?" and then trying to stop laughing at the absurdity of
the situation when she came to take pictures of the vehicle for the policy.
When she showed up, the truck was in the same condition as the mule, doing a
pretty good impression of an exploded view, ready for sand blasting. She took a
few pictures of the dataplate, the serial number on the frame, and then (after
"grilling" me about their origin) took some of the "before" pictures I had taken
to satisfy the picture requirements.

You can catch more flies with honey...

And now, the mule...

Bill