Re: [MV] M416

From: Henry & Kate Cubillan (cubillan@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 18:55:24 PDT

I don't think $700 is the high range, I've seen them go for much more on
the West Coast and Southwest. They also tend to be in much better
condition. I know this is going to be debated by many, but IMHO, the
days of the $100-$300 M416 in nice shape are long gone. Most of them
have been surplused, and they don't surface up for sale from individuals
that often, probably because if you have a place to keep them, they'll
last forever, and they're stout and practical.
I bought mine from CS Coleman's in PA five (5) years ago for $395, when
Coleman's had 100+ of these, stacked four high. I took my time playing
in their yard (I highly recommend it, you have no idea how much cool
stuff is just lying around) and found one in excellent condition and
even got a spare tire/rim for it.
The last time I got an advertisement from Coleman's, they were selling
M416's for $750. Unless they've gotten more units lately, you're also
bound to get the last ones of their big stock, which are pretty chewed
up.

Unless you stumble across a fantastic deal or are willing to do a lot of
body/metal/rust repair work, forget about finding one for under $250. I
think you can find a good one for about $300, and that's averaging the
prices of what I see around the country. In some areas they're cheaper,
in some, more expensive.

Other suggestions, keep your eyes open and go slow when you drive on
rural and semi-rural roads, you're bound to spot them languishing in
back yards and fields. Just recently I spotted three M416's behind a
state-owned shooting range north of Phoenix, all in excellent (near
mint) condition. I also spotted one close to downtown, and the guy
wanted $500. I procrastinated, and when I called him again, he had sold
it for $450....DOH!

Finally, I strongly recommend NEW LIFE RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, which
advertises on MVM, for a cover. They make really nice canvas
reproductions and also custom covers based on the original pattern in
many different colors. VERY nice stuff, too. Last I heard it was about
$80-$90, which I found very reasonable. They were friendly and sent me a
sample of their material in a few days. I think they're located in New
England, but don't quote me on that...

Hope this helps, I'm glad to contribute to a topic I'm familiar with!

Cheers!

Henry Cubillan

--
Henry J. Cubillan       TLCA; AZLCA; CLCC; U4WDA
1991 FJ62               <cubillan@earthlink.net>