Re: [MV] Tips, Importing, UK to US

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 10:07:48 PDT

If you are importing from Great Britain, the seller will likely be required
to obtain an export license. This only takes a few weeks. An "end users
undertaking" agreement is sometimes required for certain military vehicles,
depends on what the UK people say. Unless it is a private party sale, the
dealer will have all this, not to worry.

Before you buy:

Check with your state motor vehicles to see what they require for your
particular vehicle. Requirements change with the vintage, smog equipment
being the prime concern here. If it's newer than a 1975 be sure to check!
Next, go to the federal DOT web site and check their requirements for your
vehicle. EPA has a booklet available (420-B-94-006) free on request for
their requirements.

Hopefully, it will not require anything changed and usually it won't, but
better safe than sorry. If you are importing something over 25 years of age,
I believe you are exempt from almost all federal and state requirements such
as safety bumpers, seat belts, smog devices, etc.

Armour:

If it has any armour or gun mounts, you are required by law to have a form 6
issued by BATF. Suggestion, remove the gun mounts (even smoke dischargers)
and send them separately by sea mail.. "jeep parts".

Weapons:

BATF will NOT allow you to legally import deactivated weapons at the present
time, however if they ever loosen up, they will require a schematic of how it
was deactivated and their expert will review it and give you the approval...
don't hold your breath.

Before the mil-veh is shipped, have the seller forward the following copies
of:

1. Bill of lading
2. Bill of sale
3. Certificate of title and registration

The originals will accompany the import vehicle, this detail is handled by
the shipper.

Agencies of concern:

US Customs
EPA
DOT
DMV
BATF(Dept. of State has their nose in it too)

Shipping methods:

For Ro/Ro (roll on, roll off) shipping...... Upon arrival at the dock, you
will be allowed just a few gallons of petrol in the tank. Be sure to tape ope
rating instructions to the dash for the ignorant monkeys that will operate
(abuse) your prized vehicle. Dock theft is common by the way.

Best prices for shipping are obtained by condensing the area of your vehicle.
 Remove protruding spare tyres, fold down the top, etc.

For container shipping: No gas. No batteries. They also do not want any
boxes or extra baggage inside the vehicle, but you can, if you don't over do
it...maybe one small box for spares?

Cleaning the vehicle:

No matter how you ship... the top and undercarriage must be washed down and
be very clean of debris.

Saving money:

It may be possible to share freight with another importer, if you check
around. This can cut costs by up to 2/3rds and make this the least expensive
and quite possible most convenient way to ship. I've done both and I
absolutely prefer a shared container if possible, even though you have to
pull the batteries and drain the pet. tanks.

Import broker a must:

Before shipping (or at least two weeks out) contact an import broker. You
can find them on-line or in the yellow pages. The $100-150 you may pay for
them to complete the import forms required by customs, DOT, BATF, etc., is
well worth it. I would not go through that hassle and risk screwing it up
for such a small fee)

Fees:

There is duty in most cases, but some military historic vehicles are exempt
as I recall! The misc. fees they stick you with and duty really are not much
in any event. Your local customs office can probably give you a rough idea
or so could the import broker for that matter.

Insurance:

As a side note, in rough seas the Capt. can legally order cargo put over the
side if he feels it necessary for the safety of the ship. Insurance is
available, but hardly likely you will need it.

________________________________

That is about the extent of my knowledge on this thread and it may not be
100% accurate as it's just from my feeble memory!

For additional and perhaps more accurate details, you may want to contact:

Mr. Paul Donovan, PDON16@aol.com. Bromsgrove, England.

Paul is an exporter of military vehicles and just happens to be my friend.
He specializes in Landys and armour and is very honest and reliable. Be sure
and tell him Jack said hi! Other dealers can be found at http://www.mil.net
I would be particularly careful of at least one mil-veh dealership in the UK,
e-mail me for the name. They are at best...unreliable!

Jack Lee (Sunny California)
SUMB
Ferret Mk 2/3