Re: [MV] Ex MOD Land Rover

From: Andrew Morrey (awmorrey@concept.net.sa)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 11:58:39 PDT

from Whitworth to
>Metric and if so, what year or series would apply?

You missed one out - Unified (basically SAE).

Series I 1948 - 1957 Whitworth/BSF

Series II 1958 - 1971 Whitworth/BSF/Unified

Series III 1971 - 1984 Unified/Metric

90/110/'Defender' 1985 - on Metric

The transition periods were extremely prolonged, so you will
see a great mix depending on the year in question!
Additionally, a lot of military specific parts are inch
(both Whitworth and Unified) only. The above is of course a
generalisation.

You should also remember that, although SIII vehicles up
until 1980/81 were meant to have Unified threads, parts (and
especially major sub assemblies like engines) changed out by
the MOD will be whatever was to hand. For instance, I have a
1979 SIII 'Lightweight' (Truck, Utility, 1/2 T FFR) Land
Rover with a MOD fitted mid eighties metric engine.

One of the 'amusing' things about working on Landrovers, is
the requirement to have three sets of spanners (wrenches)
etc to hand!

So, the message is, check the vehicle, assembly or whatever
you are working on and make sure you know what thread type
you are dealing with before buying parts. I think you just
have to accept you need a lot of tools!

Regards

Andrew Morrey