Re: [MV] Chevy Markings

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 08:41:35 PDT

If doing vehicle in late war markings, USA number would likely have been
white by then after repainting I believe.

If doing Princes Irene Brigade, then most markings would be British/Canadian
style including the vehicle number. I have the Nov 1944 B Vehicle Census
list and could find British WD numbers for Chevy 1-1/2 tons probably in
their service OR you could simply give it a Canadian number from the series
allocated by UK to Canada. One batch of numbers that I suggest that
restorers use is the latter part of the 4,200,000 to 4,299,999 range i.e.
4,290,000 to 4,299,999. Commas not used when painting on vehicle. I am
starting to keep track of the allocation of these, so please let me know if
you want to use one. Using a number from this range allows collectors to use
an AUTHENTIC WD number without duplicating a vehicle number that might show
up in an historic photo and then be confused for being the ACTUAL vehicle in
the photo. e.g. Several collectors have painted their vehicles based on
famous photos. Not only is there duplication when more than one collector
uses the same photo (how many General Patton beeps are out there?) but also
people (or museums) might later think that this is actually "General
Crerar's jeep" etc. When painted on the vehicles add the "C" prefix for
Canada and the vehicle code type e.g. "L" for lorry. In your case you could
do CL429XXXX. Local collectors have basically utilized the 1942, 1943, 1944
and 1945 numbers for the last four digits - I wonder why? :-)

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB