Mule Oil Pump

From: Alan Zeichner (Alan.Zeichner@kp.org)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 08:53:46 PDT

Just picked up my second mule ( M274A5 ) Engine turns over well but has terrible metal on metal sound ,an ominous sound, which concerns me. I checked the pull start gear and oiled it but that did not help. Was advised to check the oil line that enters the governor and when the engine runs no oil comes out. Does this mean my oil pump is fried? How hard is it to replace the pump? What else might be wrong. Also there was poor acceleration when it did run, before the noise started. Could that be stuck rings? This was a boxed engine that has not been run in several years. Your collective help would be appreciated........Alan