Voting (Rant)

From: Gary Pavone (gpavone@thegrid.net)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 16:33:27 PDT

I have been enjoying the algore thread. A lot of information has been sent
around. I have yet to see anything about his environmental zealotry, though.

As a MV owner who likes to drive his vehicles as they were intended, IN THE
DIRT I must remind those who are interested that Mr. Clinton and Mr. Gore
closed hundreds of thousands of acres of PUBLIC land to any kind of wheeled
conveyance. I'm not talking about unspoiled, pristine wilderness. I'm
talking about developed, dirt roads that actually lead one to someplace of
interest. All this is done, no doubt to preserve these dirt roads for future
generations to not use. Where I live there exists hundreds of miles of
former logging roads. You can actually travel these roads many miles to
different towns and places of great interest if you want. But not anymore.
The Forest Service "closed" these roads last year by putting up beautiful,
aesthetically pleasing steel gates across them.

I grew up in the city. As soon as I could I moved away to someplace rural so
I could enjoy life and do the things I like to do without having to drive
four hours to get there. Now I drive five hours to get to a similar place to
do the same thing because I can no longer do it in my own neighborhood. I
tow my M38 with a big, ugly, diesel smoke belching, CUCV that I hope drops a
load of soot right in algore's quiche.

Wow! That felt good. End of rant.

Gary Pavone
gpavone@thegrid.net