Re: [MV] Radials in Canada?

From: Brandon (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 15:19:37 PDT

If those are the (7 cylinder) 250 HP Continentals, the cylinders are
identical to those used on the 220 HP W-670 aircraft engine. I used a set of
NOS tank cylinders on my Stearman trainer for an overhaul a few years back.
You'll find that the majority of aircraft using this engine in the US are
actually using "tank" cylinders. I believe that many of the accesories are
the same as well. The crankshaft snout is shorter, the case sump is slighly
different, and the pistons are cast instead of forged, yet some of these
engines were certified for use in crop dusters under a Supplemental Type
Certificate.

I'm not sure if the other radial engine types have parts that cross over in
this manner.

Perhaps these could be legitimately imported as aircraft parts rather than
"Military Tank Engines," so no ATF involvement would be required. These
engines were used pre-war also, so they might not be of concern to the Dept.
of State (unless you were to make it an issue).

Just some thoughts, not necessarily a recommendation.....

BK