Import Costs

From: Randyb777@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 21:20:05 PDT

Listers,
I don't particularly want to get involved with this situation with importing
vehicles from the Ukraine but I just imported two trucks from Holland and
thought I would let the listers know about a couple of unexpected costs I
incurred.
This pertains to a 40' container. There is a U.S. Port cost of $500.00 that
I am told is with each port nation wide. I was told by a man in the shipping
business that this cost is quite often left out of the quote for the shipping
charges. Technically it is not a shipping charge but a port charge.
Being my first time I thought I could take my trailer to where the vehicles
came into and take them out of the container and put them on my trailer.
WRONG!
I had to hire a trucking company to pick up the container, empty it, then
return it. Luckily I had a place at my work where they could be unloaded so
it only cost me $214.00. If I had not had my own place to have them
unloaded, add on another $200.00.
The shipping company hired a company here in the US to collect the shipping
charges from me and they tacked on $100.00. This I would have fought but
after five working days I would have had to start paying $65.00 per day
storage. I guess you could say they had me by the short hairs.
In order to get the shipping charges paid soon enough I had to have the money
transfered electronicaly. Add another $25.00.
So, if you have been totally this you will come up with an extra $839.00 that
I was not aware of. If I had been aware of this extra cost I would not have
gone thru with the deal because it was just enough to turn it from a decent
deal to a little more money than I think the two trucks are worth.
When I spoke to ATF regarding these trucks, they ask if they had a gun
mounted on them, if they ever had a gun mounted on them or any place that a
gun is supposed to be mounted? The answer to all these questions was no.
So, the agent said they could not care any less about them I did not need a
Form 6.
One more thing to keep in mind, there is a 15% tax for foreign made trucks or
American made if they are being imported for re-sale.
The one thing I had nightmares about was getting thru US Customs. That was
by far the easiest, I was in the Customs office for all of about 10 minutes.
BTW these trucks are 1969 Dodge M601's. American made goods returning home.
Hopefully this will help the next guy importing that might have been as
inexperienced as I.

Randy Baker
Clayton, CA

MVPA 19633