Trying to recover markings from my XM220

From: Bryan Rupp (ruppster@alaskalife.net)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 01:00:06 PDT

This evening I started cleaning off the yellow paint from my '53 GMC XM220 shop van to see if I
could figure out what the hood number was. Unfortunately someone was very thorough and completely
sanded off the numbers from the hood. Went all the way to the metal before the yellow paint was
applied over the OD. I was able to make out some numbers on the bumper but almost half of the paint
has come off of it so sections of the markings are gone. The left side of the bumper has US ARMY on
it while all I can read from the right side is 4-0 just before the notch in the bumper for the
winch. Before the 4-0 there appears to be 3 or 4 characters but not enough is left to figure out
what it should be. Is there any other areas on the body that I could check for the hood numbers? The
truck was sold by the Army in 1969 and was only owned by one company before being purchased by a
local truck dealer. It was kept completely stock but has been sitting for almost two years. Because
the last company painted it yellow with the frame and bumpers done in black I am thinking of
nicknaming it the Bumblebee. Anyone else have any other suggestions for a name for my new toy?

Thanks,
Bryan R.