Re: [MV] flags...

From: WreckerFC@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 04:36:36 PDT

Gavin...
>> "...not even most Brits. are aware of: 'Union Flag vs Union Jack' "<<
... yes I was aware of this fact re the 'Jack Staff' (blunt end of a boat)
but I have gotten tired of correcting other Brits., let alone my new
countrymen (USA), similarly with the correct pronunciation of E-din-burg
etc!, so I think it's about time we accepted the principal of 'common useage'
and adopt the Union 'Jack' as our countries flag as with other corrections or
additions to the 'Oxford English Dictionary'!

It's not quite as bad as the Yank's dictionary, Websters, who are now
accepting "duh" (expresion of sarcasm following a blatantly obvious
statement) and "douw" (spelling?) - the Homer Simpson 'I've just screwed up
again' phrase...

Regards from the Colonies, and happy 'Good riddens day' for Tuesday (4th
July).

Howard.