Re: [MV] British Fuel Can ?

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 19:12:28 PDT

Tim wrote:

>I just got a British can, never seen one like it before, it is dated 5/40
>and WD marked on the base with the propellor symbol of the manufacturer. The
>can is rectangular, 15ins tall, with 9in x 9in square ends. On the top, in
>the centre is a steel handle secured by 4 rivets. In one corner there is a
>round 2.5in diameter alloy screw cap with a securing chain on the underside.
>The can is painted green, however there are places where a sand coloured
>paint can be seen underneath. ........

     Sounds like it may be a Vickers Machine Gun steam condensing can. The
look like (and sometimes were) petrol tins. It was used for condensing the
steam from the water jacket back into water. Then it can be reused in the
gun. These cans were larger than the ones used by the US for the M-1917
water cooled Browning .30 cal MG.

                   Jim

James T. Gilmore
2565 Wiethoff, Inkster Michigan 48141