Mutt clamp & chain.

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 11:51:33 PDT

Gavin wrote:
>It would appear (great phrase that!) that later-model Mutts were
>retro-fitted with an integral "clamp and chain arrangement. whereby a
>two-piece clamp, to which a chain was welded, is bolted around the steering
>column using shear-head bolts. When parked, one simply lifts the chain
>through the steering wheel and locks it with a padlock. This retro was
>circa 1977.

      This is not a retro-fit but an in-service modification. This was
done to many types of military vehicles. Some, like my M-151-A2 (and an
earlier M-151-A1) , just had a length of chain with one end welded to the
body and used a lock to wrap it around the steering wheel. Others, like my
M-35-A2, had a clamp and chain arrangement. These were typically done by
the using unit so the types vary. The chain just lies there on the floor
when not in use. I had several M-715's with the chain welded to the
floor. On Marine MUTTs you will often find a different locking
system. There is a tube or "U" shaped length of steel mounted on the trans
cover with a cut out that goes around the gear shifter. A lock (bicycle
type) is run through holes in the steel piece and locks the trans so it
cannot be shifted.

       These anti-theft devices were not intended for combat conditions.

--Jim

Jim Gilmore 2565 Wiethoff, Inkster, MI 48141
1-313-561-8826 <voice> * 1-313-730-1652 <fax>