Re: [MV] My MV's and the Railroad.

From: Everett Doyle (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 19:47:33 PDT

Not being argumentative -- in the war of Northern Agressesion - many battles
were fought over control of railroads and rivers. Atlanta - Nashville -
Memphis - Shiloh - Vicksburg and others -- I do acknowedge that road system
was not very good. I also remember we sent 8th air force and lost lots of
men destroying railroads. I also acknowledge that we have spent many
dollars building the Defense Highway System -- known to public as
Interstates. Interesteing story concerning one state that was not going to
let National Guard use these roads with over width and length vehicles.
Phone call from DOD set them straight.

But if you need to move an Army railroads are hard to beat -- I well
remember seeing on MOP in Arkansas in 1940.s very long trains with military
equip on them, sometimes with armed soldier on every car.