Re: [MV] Importing Military Vehicles into the U.S.

From: RKiser8375@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 15:33:26 PDT

Henning,

I guarantee you that I can get the paperwork approved by the BATF and the
State Department. Let me
know if you are interested.

Rob Kiser

<< Rob,
 You indicated in your e-mail
  " I have talked with the guys at the State Department frequently for the
the
 last few months and (here's the good news) I can guarantee you that I can
get
 a Form 6 issued by the BATF and approved by the State Department for an
 M151-A2. Let me know if you would like to pursue this further."

 Would this also be possible for a tracked vehicle of foreign manufacture??

 I have been trying to obtain a form 6 from BATF since December of 1998 for a
 "Light Reconnaissance Vehicle (Tracked). I have a letter from the State
 Department (May 17,1999) indicating that they have no objection to my
 importation of this vehicle.

 Following this thread here recently, I called ATF this morning and was once
 again told that "the Department of State has been delegated the authority to
 administer the export provisions of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976
 (AECA), while the BATF administers the import provisions of the statute and
 that BATF was "still conducting a study to determine whether or not there
are
 any national security or public safety concerns associated with the
 introduction of these implements of war into the U.S." and would not be
 issuing any permits until this study is finished.(No time frame available as
 to when this "Study" would be finished)
  This is the same response I recieved by letter in July of 1999, December of
 1999 and in March of 2000. This is also the same response my Congressman
 recieved in August of 1999 and in January of 2000.

 What you indicated above may be true for "soft-skined vehicles", but so far
 as I can tell, nothing has changed at BATF on other vehicles.
 Hopefully, when the administration in Washington changes, there will also be
 a change at BATF.

 Henning