RE: The CVEs (Floating MVs) and Dirty Harry

From: Rayfield , Robert S Jr Mr DUSA-IA/Techmatics (RayfieldRS@hqda.army.mil)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 05:25:06 PDT

Ralph,
Thanks for your reply. I did go that web site, and after reviewing the
material that Andrew Toppan put together, to include the scrapping dates of
all of the CVE/CVU/AKV/T-AKV escort carriers, I conlcuded that it could have
been the last four used in operational status as T-AKV's (CARD, CORE, BRETON
or CROATAN) or anyone of the AKV's of the last COMMENCEMENT BAY-class that
were sold for scrapping in 1970/71/72:
COMMENCEMNT BAY (CVE-105/AKV-37)
KULA GULF CVE-108/AKV-8
CAPE GLOUCESTER CVE-110/AKV-10
VELLA GULF CVE 111/AKV 11
SIBONEY CVE 112/AKV 12
RENDOVA CVE 114/AKV 14
BADOENG STRAIT CVE 116/AKV 16
SAIDOR CVE 117/AKV 17
POINT CRUZ CVE/119 AKV 19
RABAUL CVE 121/AKV 21
TINIAN CVE 123/AKV 23

The other classes of CVE's had been disposed of mostly in batches in
1946-48; 1958-62; 1969-70. The above are the only ones listed as having
been scrapped in the time frame mentioned - 1973 at the time of MAGNUM
FORCE.

I have listed out the possible names i/c anyone in the SF area remembers or
these names trigger a response.

Stew Rayfield
Maj USMC (Ret)