Re: [MV] Trimble Trimpack GPS in HMMWV

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 09:42:37 PDT

"Brian M. Hodges" <bhodges@epilog.com> wrote:
> Can anyone provide information on whether the Trimpack GPS
> (http://www.trimble.com/products/catalog/military/centurion.htm) is
> correct for the HMMWV.

Here is a picture I found a while back at www.defenselink.mil which
may be helpful. The lead HMMWV appears to have a Trimpack antenna
installed on a bracket above the right corner of its windshield,
probably using the snorkle bracket mounting holes:

    Picture: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/980219-F-3893W-509.jpg
    Caption: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/980219-F-3893W-509.txt

So, does anybody know where I can buy one of those antenna brackets? I
wouldn't mind installing my Trimpack in my HMMWV. I wish I could see a
picture of the radio installation inside that truck... it looks like
it has at least four radios, plus a GPS receiver, based on the
antennas it carries.

> I have found one on ebay
> (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=378984916),

You might also try Murphy's Surplus Warehouse, and see if Mike has any
left. With an "as-is" unit, you're TSOL if it doesn't work. I got mine
from Fair Radio Sales years ago, back when they were a lot more
expensive than they're likely to be now.

> and note that trimble provides a vehicle installation kit.

Anything you buy from Trimble will be VERY expensive! Here are a
couple pictures of a Trimpack in its vehicular mount. Note that the
mount attaches to the vehicle with a single bolt, and can be tilted
and turned for a proper viewing angle:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/mvc-392x.jpg
    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/mvc-393x.jpg

> If anyone can provide details on this installation I would
> appreciate it. In particular, I am curious to know where the unit is
> mounted, and if the external antenna is used, and if so where is it
> mounted.

The internal antenna might be good enough with a soft top, but the
amplified external antenna will probably work better. The truck
pictured above appears to have an arctic soft top, but still uses an
external antenna.

Please share any details you find... I've told you everything I know! :-)

Note that the Trimpack will happily run on both 12V and 24V systems (I
think it's rated for 9-30 VDC, if I remember right). External power is
a must... it'll suck 8 AA cells dry in about 4 hours, assuming you can
even find the AA cell adapter. It's regular batteries are funky
military lithium batteries that I haven't seen on the surplus market.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/