Re: [MV] Charging systems

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 19:25:37 PDT

Also Gents the battery is a load box so to speak for the charging system IE:
the voltage regulator has a "load to regulate against, a balance beam so to
speak". This system and this generally means all vehicles civilian and
military whether they use an alternator or a generator. Without the battery
the voltage regulator has no load to balance the voltage with. So you could
try to remove your battery with it running and indeed some <but not all
systems will run without the battery after the battery starts the engine>
what happens is the voltage regulator as soon as the battery is disconnected
it starts raising the voltage to find the nominal voltage the battery will
except. Except the battery isn't there anymore. Did you Gents and Ladies
know that an alternator can and will without the battery in a 24-28VDC
system exceed 60 volts until it kills itself <alternator> due to excess
voltage? Interesting food for thought EHH??

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM