Re: [MV] M151 A2 Problems

From: R. C . Orpe (sgtorpe@sierratel.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 10:17:59 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <Anith@wfp.org>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 7:16 AM
Subject: [MV] M151 A2 Problems

> Hi guys!
>
> 1. My 1984 MUTT has a problem of brake fluid leaking from the Master
> Cylinder. I changed the rubber kit inside the cylinder but within a couple
> of days the problem started all over again. I can not find a spare
cylinder
> here easily. (I am working in Sudan-Africa) Also what is the specified
> brake fluid for Mutt?

Did you hone the cylinder also. Sometimes they can be pitted beyond repair
though.

> 2. When the vehicle is in low gears and is slow and especially when the
> clutch is let out, there are noices from the rear and underneath-obviously
> from the joints. (Slack in joints or problems in differential?) I have
> replaced universal joints but the sounds persist. In higher gears and at
> higher speeds, the sounds disappear.

Check the bushings in the pivot points on the rear suspension arms. Grab the
rear wheel and give it a good shake back and forth. There should no
loosness. Look closely at the wheel bearings also.

> 3. My machanic says that the engine crank-shaft bearing needs replacing.
> When I do that, what else needs to be checked-so that I do not need to
open
> up the engine again?

Need to check the crank for roundness. Check the rod bearings and journals.

> 4. The gear shifting is not smooth. Is it common with MUTTs of 1984? If
> not, what is the remedy?
You are probably stiff coming out of first gear going to second and getting
a bit of gear clash gong into third. These symptoms are pretty common.

Randy