Replys on Steering Gear Box

From: Breeden (freebirds@erols.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 08:16:31 PDT

Hi List,

Hope that this was of some help to somebody. Hope we didn't confuse
anybody. Should have mentioned that if you're able to drain the fluid from
your gear box into a jar, that would be a very good place to start. That
way you can see if there's any metal shavings in the fluid. Also, this
tells you if there's any fluid in the box in the first place!

Wanted to touch on a couple of responses that we had. Someone mentioned
about the radiator studs and also changing the gear box seal. The two studs
that are fixed to the bottom of the radiator come down first, before the
engine touches the mounting pads. As I had removed the cross member with
the radiator support bracket all in one piece, I was just mentioning to line
up the studs so as not to do any damage. As for the seal, that would have
been a good thing to change. The gear box we used was full of fluid and
didn't appear to have any leaks. Plus I didn't have a new seal! Took a
chance - but if I had had a seal, I probably would have changed it.

Someone else asked what likely caused the pitting. I don't believe the
pitting was caused by corrosion because the gear box was full of fluid and
there were no signs of rust at all in the gear box. Just a guess, but
someone could have had the steering in a bind - maybe ran over a large rock
or something - which caused a small chip and as the years went by, the chip
got worse. Don't know for sure.

If this wasn't full of info for you - at least I hope it was fun to read.
Look forward to reading your postings!

Harold