Re: [MV] HMMWV differential rebuild tools?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 16:52:50 PDT

Tom Bauer <tomb@carr.org> wrote:
> i have replaced bearings in MANY differentials over the years and the
> only thing i do is to use the old shims in the old locations. bearings
> are made to the same specifications so they are all the same. to pre
> load the pinion shaft tighten it down to the same position of the nut
> (fairly obvious) and you are done...........

The book says that to properly preload the pinion bearing, the
collapsible spacer needs to be replaced every time the pinion is
re-installed, and again if the nut is overtightened during reassambly.
If I'm going to the trouble of taking the thing apart, I want to do it
*right*, and hopefully never take the thing apart again!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/