Re: [MV] DUKW Axel Sealing & Locations

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 17:46:54 PDT

There were a number of sealing devices.

The rear axles had special twin lip I believe wheel bearing seals to keep
the water out of the bearings. The axleshaft iself had a seal just behind
the flange that you see with the 8 bolts inside the wheels. This was an
after thought that the banjo axled CCKW had too. It was tricky as all the
tolerances added up to make the seal either loose or more commonly over
tight.

The drive shafts leaving the hull going to the front axle and the middle
axle and the pillow block bearing on the middle axle were enclosed in metal
tubes like the old torque tube that the cars of the 30's had. One the ends
were rubber bellows, like a shifter boot that sealed the tube to the hull or
the pinion bearing retainer on the differential.

The front axle had different spindles than the normal banjo axled cckw and
the special wheel bearing seals.

The knuckle (steering ball) seal had to pass a test where the grease fitting
was replaced and 15 psi (as I recall) of air had to be held without leaking.

How's that

Steve AKA Dr Deuce and 'almost' tripple DUKW owner...