Re: [MV] Fuel Tank, FEEDBACK

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 23:37:42 PDT

I had my Willys MB gas tank commercially coated inside and out a few years
ago even though it was still solid. I had heard too many tales from friends
of tiny rust particles clogging the fuel system at the most awkward times. I
am not sure what the name of the process was called but here are some
observations:

1. They did not ask, or even tell me, but they drilled at least three holes
the size of quarters (1960s shillings to our English friends, 1960s 100 Lire
coins to our Italian friends). Where? In the most %#$@%# OBVIOUS place on a
jeep! Right on the top edge that shows between the driver's and passenger
seats. This would not matter that much on a gas tank hidden under the floor
of a car/track, but I was REALLY annoyed as my gas tank was perfectly fine
before this. The only saving grace is that I was not trying to do a 100
pointer jeep for judging. If so, I would have had to buy another gas tank!
If you do the process, talk to the people actually doing it and agree on
where they can cut holes. :-(

2. My good quality army paint (RAPCO in TX) has trouble sticking to the
coating and bubbles badly. :-(

3. The drain plug was sealed permanently as we found out the hard way. :-(

4. DON'T USE SILICONE as a gasket sealer in a fuel tank. The fuel
deteriorates the silicone and the rest of the fuel system does not like
these clear blobs floating around in the system. Mine died on me in the
middle of a Dutch Liberation Parade in Lynden, WA, USA in May 2000. I was
able to limp back across the international border but ended up needing a
tow-truck to get it home. :-(

5. The coating on the outside does change the appearance of the tank. Gives
it a bumpy rubbery coating look. Not good for a 100 pointer jeep...

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB