1944 GPW jeep for sale

From: Chris (cdavis@mail.johnsonmfg.net)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 16:47:50 PDT

I recently completed a "parade ready" restoration on a 1944 GPW. I started
with a very clean jeep and I'm happy with the results, but this is not a
"frame up" restoration.

It has a Willys, not a Ford motor (but it runs great, and the frame does
match the body).
The transmission/transfer-case leaks (but shifts cleanly and stays in gear.)
Some of the gages have been replaced, (but they all work).
It doesn't have a top or top bows, (but has new seat canvas, back seat too).
It has some rust in the hat channels (ones on the toe boards especially)
but spent it's entire life in the high desert of California (Palm Springs
area) so it actually has very little damage from the elements or anything
else for that matter.

I'm starting at $5,500. I'm also considering putting it on e-bay I've
never actually bought or sold anything there, but I lurk occasionally and
I've seen jeeps go for what seem to be premium prices. Has anyone from the
list had experience with e-bay? Good or Bad.

One unique item regarding this jeep. I painted it with D-day markings, 1st
Division, 18th Regiment, 2nd Battalion, Company G. especially for a
parade. My passenger in the parade was part of that unit during WWII. He
went ashore in the first wave on D-day, Omaha Beach, EZ Red sector (should
have Dog Red, but things being what they were that day...) Of the 180 men
in his company 26 were still on the line the next day. He won a three
Silver Stars, two Purple Hearts. He was good enough to sign the inside of
the glove box door for me after the parade. I don't know how many D-day
survivors are left out there, let alone decorated ones, but his signature
meant a lot to me and I hope it will to the knew owner.

You can see photos of my work at:
http://www.johnsonmfg.net/44gpw/Index.htm

The jeep is located in Southern California and I can help with transport
within the Southwestern states of the US.

Feel free to e-mail or call me with specific questions. W: (714) 375 5822
x14 H: (949) 455 9932

Hurry and get before everyone gets back from Beltring ;-)

Thanks,

Chris Davis
'53 M37
'43 GPW