Took the Deuce to ATHS Truck Show

From: RWeinkauf (RWeinkauf@msn.com)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 14:07:03 PDT

Hello all,

Yesterday I entered my M35A2 in a truck show sponsored by the Southeastern
Michigan chapter of the American Truck Historical Society in Ann Arbor, MI.
I have recently finished the exterior restoration, and so it was decked out
in new 4-color camo, paint, and authentic markings from the Delaware Army
National Guard 116th MASH the truck served in during the mid-seventies.

As others have experienced, I was the only military vehicle at the show- but
that enhanced the truck's uniqueness. I was also the LOUDEST vehicle
driving into the display area (and had the best whistling turbo), so I drew
quite a few of the exhibitors as the truck idled in its display space. And
the dual flashing convoy warning lights were blazing away, making for quite
a spectacle as I made my way to the display area.

The reception I got from the fellow exhibitors was very friendly. They were
all familiar with the Deuce, but there doesn't seem to be a good example of
a restored one among the club members (until I joined). They were very
happy to have me there, and it served as a great way to start a conversation
with lots of people.

For the display I made up two brochures for folks to take away with them.
One described the 4-color camouflage pattern history and pattern, the other
listed lots of technical information and specifications about the truck's
mechanical systems. I also made up a notebook with pictures and brief
descriptions of the restoration process over the last year. Folks seemed to
appreciate all the information in the brochures, and it also freed me to
make frequent trips to the ice cream joint across the parking lot to indulge
my chocolate malt habit.

The show was lots of fun, and I met a bunch of folks who, while not being
particularly knowledgeable of the details and history of military trucks,
loved trucks of all kinds anyway. I even met a fellow who knew a guy in the
club who owned a White halftrack. The standing offer was to GIVE the
halftrack away because the guy couldn't sell it and just wanted it out of
his barn. You can bet I'm going to track down that remark top see if it's
fiction...

Anyway, these ATHS folks are a really nice bunch, and they seem like good
partners to MVPA members. If you have a local ATHS chapter near you, I
would suggest that you visit one of their meetings and take the opportunity
to show your truck off with them too.

Rich
Rich Weinkauf, N8QLT
Cruise Missile Coordinates: 42d 28.05'N 083d 22.87'W
HummerID 97.5 Fly Yellow Wagon
1971 Kaiser M35A2 ** MVPA #20486
Load Warrior Website http://homepages.msn.com/Terminus/loadwarrior
M35 Cool Stuff Site http://www.highprofilevehicles.com