Re: [MV] Sprag problem

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 08:40:27 PDT

--- Buzz Szarek <buzz@toast.net> wrote:
> Good point Joe. A sprag system is very sensitive to
> wheel diameter. If you
> are running larger wheels in the front than in the
> back (even by a little
> bit) you can bind the drive shafts, usually
> resulting in the busting loose
> of the pillow block from the first rear axle. This
> is a real mess to clean
> up. (note front wheels can be smaller than the rear
> but not larger.)
>
> The problem with the sprag set up is that the
> adjustment must be spot on.
> If it isn't it will slip and if it slips it will
> round out the teeth on the
> sprag making it easier to slip again. This is where
> the problem gets messy.
> Once messed up it's impossible to get it exactly
> right again. If you are
> lucky enough to have a truck that was maintained
> well and not messed with
> then you'll have little problems.
>
> The key is the adjustment and wheel size.
+++++++++++
Hold it,...... we're missing something else here!

He says that it locks up when he's lining up to back
into his driveway. He turns a tight right turn, then
turns left to back in.

The details are important here.

If he's driving up to his driveway, pushes the clutch
in, then does the right turn to a stop. What do the
differentials "see"?

If the wheels on one side are going substantially
faster than the wheels on the other side it MAY allow
the drive shaft to speed up if it isn't driven. Now
what would the speed of the rear drive shaft be in
relation to the front shaft?

Any considerations?

Joe