Re: [MV] Beltring

From: Tim (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 14:46:12 PDT

Hmmm.... perhaps I should say... the Andreas Camp "looked empty"... and the
Kettenrad was missing - so I made a bad assumption.

AND- two visits to an empty/closed MVPA tent were most annoying.

I wish I'd realised the only running Kettenrad was Andreas' - it came past
my tent at least once each day and I'd have flagged it down if i'd
realised... it seems y'all came to my tent whilst I was at yours looking for
you...

As for the condition of the toilets/showers... It wasnt so much of a problem
for me... a walk to the other block was good exercise... but a friend of
mine duly paid his way for both him and his wife and was not amused...
especially considering his wife is 6 months pregnant - and they were relying
on decent facilities close to their tent... He tells me they will be writing
directly to Rex Cadman to complain...

The "water bowsers" you mention... I think these were refilled sunday
afternoon... I remember driving past one which was dispensing water... but I
know what you mean about the height... additionally the nice trough of taps
on the wall of the female shower block was obviously designed to stop people
filling water jerrycans... being about 0.5ins too high to allow such
action... without 70% water loss per can filled.

I guess the whole "toilet" situation was summed up by the "pleasant"
individual who somehow managed to crap in the middle of the Officer's Mess
floor without being noticed... until he'd (she?) gone.

Even with 15 pairs of eyes, we still had pilfering on our living history
display... only small items - like mugs, penknives and the like... total
losses around 15 pounds in value - so not too bad... but bad enough... I did
see some police cars... but it was obviously too much effort to step out of
the air-conditioning into the real world.... but in all a most friendly
event considering the amount of guns, knives and offensive weapons available
to such a massive crowd... infact I would go further to say that the only
pilfering we experienced was during "open" hours... after the public went
home we never had a problem... though we had a lot of strange visitors who
might have stopped longer if the camp was unattended. Surely this sort of
event is enough publicity to back events and hobbies/interests such as
ours... as you said... if it were a football match there'd be loads of
police, loads of arrests and loads of damage... and yet football is a
national institution... ????

And ABSOULTELY NO POINT having a cruising Police Car at Night... they'd be
far too busy stopping DRUNK DRIVERS or SPEEDING MOTORISTS to ever consider
catching the occasional petty thief....

How about a curfew on driving around site at night.... ???? combined with
the use of "Stingers"... and proper enforcement... like - a breath test....
that should stop most... after all I presume we're all subject to HM regs on
such things ? I was nearly run down returning to my tent by a nutter on a
motorbike... only my abilitiy to move out of the way in time saved us from a
high speed collision... had I not been sober I might not have reacted
quickly enough... the rider of the bike was too preoccupied with looking
behind him to see what was infront... and no lights either.

Oops... got carried away...

No further comment.

Tim