Re: [MV] Tabby

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 23:45:16 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim" <tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 11:38 AM
Subject: [MV] Tabby

> Not a cat.... British WW2 Night Driving Glasses....
>
> Are these items rare - anyone got any details on them ?

Haven't seen any for ages but had a new boxed (crated) set when I was 17
(that'd be about 1963) when this stuff and ex-mil radios were being given
away new for a pound or so.

Huge binocular affairs about 2ft long with a control box and PSU that used a
vibrator and standard car ignition coil to provide EHT for the glass capsule
image intensifiers, I never did get it to work and likely was all thrown
away c.1970 along with unused 19, 88, 38, 1154 and 1155 sets I cluttered my
parents house with then.

I recall the Tabby system required the binoculars to be hung from the
vehicle roof and the drivers/operators had strapped into the eye-pieces.

Richard
Southampton - England