M38 engine and axle assys report

From: Lisa (jeepcj8@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 23:13:27 PDT

We took a 60 mile drive round trip to have a look at the M38
with the engine, trans, and axles for sale. Here is what we
found:
Rear Axle...unmolested, but the springs had been replaced
with Wrangler springs.
Front Axle...unmolested, Wrangler springs also, and a Vega
steering conversion, all the way to the steering wheel.
Transmission...unmolested.
Transfer case...he wanted to keep it, but the parking brake
drum assy was complete all the way to the brake handle on
the dash.
Engine...Not marked "MC". This did it for me, though it did
run nice, had been converted to 12v. Nice stock radiator. A
good engine for a civilian jeep.
Wheels...aluminum aftermarket with 33 x 11.50 tires.
Front bumper...gone, a large tube welded in its place.
Bodywork not bad really, some bondo, dash hacked up due to
the steering conversion.
Seats, gone.
Dataplates, gone except for the one on the right rear
wheelhousing.
Tailgate...ok
Windshield, wrecked and had pipe welded to it so it would
work.
He wanted $350 for both axles and the engine/trans including
the radiator. 'Course, I would have gotten the driveshafts
and parking brake also. Basically, he is going to take the
body off the frame and install Wagoneer axles, a Chevy 350,
T18, and the Dana 18 and make a rock crawler out of it. It
is just about all it is good for, too far gone to restore. I
offered him $200 and he said no. Oh, well, I am not going
more than that for an engine that is not correct.
I appreciate now more than ever how complete mine is. I
rescued it just in time.
Who knows, maybe he will change his mind and notify me to
come get it.
Lisa