Re: [MV] Deuce trans problem

From: Buzz Szarek (buzz@toast.net)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 08:32:44 PDT

This is usually a symptom of one of two things.
1. a bent shifter fork that prevents the gear from completely engaging.
Since it's not all the way in gear it is easy for it to slip out.

2. the dogs on the gear are worn. If you look at a transmission you'll see
that there are parts that stick out of the side of some gears. These parts,
dogs, fit into slots in other gears on the shaft. This allows the gears to
spin freely until they are slid into position. These dogs are cut so that
they are a little narrower close to the gear. The slots they fit into are
cut similarly so that when torque is applied to the cluster nothing will
move. If the dogs get worn and rounded the transmission will slip out of
gear.

I realize this isn't the best explanation but if you take a trans apart
you'll see what I mean.

Hope it helps.

-=-