Re: [MV] M151 fav

From: MadSkier1@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 11:00:06 PDT

In a message dated 7/31/00 6:26:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jeff.Ciccone@conectiv.com writes:

<<
 Rob, Ken
  I put together one of those in 1992 with parts surplused out of Lakehurst.
 There was a Govt contractor called Darissa which made alot of different
 items for the Army SpecOps groups including these vehicles.

  What was done to the engine? It seemed like there was 2 variants - one
 was a command vehicle and had a hardtop with a radome on the roof for
 Satcom? The other was an attack vehicle.

 The following was done to the attack vehicles :
  6point rollbar with m16 mounts,integral machine gun mount, and brackets for
 arm vehicle infrared driving lights windshield removed,bows removed

 metal mesh boxes on the front fenders and one by the rear(where the spare
 was mounted for ammo?), 2 fuel can carriers mounted on the rear, rear
 bumperettes and pintle hook removed, 2 composite lights mounted where the
 pintle hook was located

 off road shocks replaced military ones, dual coil springs all around, 2 inch
 lift kit installed,chains welded between frame and lower control arms to
 limit wheel travel over rough terrain, 10x31x15 tires with 15x8 Jeep type
 spoke rims,rubber wheelwell mudguards installed all 4 wheels,4point racing
 style seatbelts

  fabricated skid plate with access holes (for the drainplugs on the
 engine,trans etc), hole cut in the right dashboard and locking cover for a
 glove compartment of sorts, front spare tire carrier/louvered radiator guard

 starter switch mounted on left side dash along with aircraft safety switches
 to kill lights,horn,etc,velcro/nylon cover for gauge panel,front turn
 signals replaced with IR arm vehicle headlights

 there were a number of different rollbars - mine was a 4 point although most
 of the ones I saw were 6 point with mounting points for AT4 rocket
 launchers,M16s and the M60 or grenade launcher >>

The ones I have are all FAVs. They had the 6 point cage (cut out before
going to the DRMO), cahins welded, dual coil springs, off road shocks, fender
flares, and some of the other features you mentioned. But, the ones I have
do still have the pintle hook installed, and do retain the original 151 rear
spare tire carrier. These did not have wheels or tires with them. Maybe
these were a makeshift setup of the FAVs??? I bought 5 151s, 4 FAVs and 1
TOW, which had dual coil shocks, fender flares, and chains welded to the
suspension, but nothing else to show that it was a FAV version.

Rob