Demil of Significant Military Equipment

From: Ian Wallace (iwallace@uswest.net)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 19:11:11 PDT

RE the "demilitarization of significant military equipment".

The following is the history of this legislation. Items 1 through 5 still
include the language we are all concerned with. What is important is that
the Engrossed Senate Amendment, Item #6, DOES NOT include this language. A
search of either the section number of the proposed legislation, Chapter
153, US Code, Title 10, section 2573, OR the term "demil" does not appear in
any context we should be too worried about. This does not mean that we can
stand idle and not make sure this does not become reintroduced into the
legislation.

If you wish to check on this yourself, do the word search "demil" and/or
"2573" on each of items 1-5, and it's there, but NOT in item #6. Just click
on the right end box line that says "Full Display..." and you'll get the
entire text of the bill. If you have a slow modem it will take a long time
to load, but believe me, you won't find the dreaded phrases in the final
language.

If anyone else wants to comment again, feel free! I believe that for some
strange reason logic has invaded the halls of the Senate - wonder of
wonders!

The web address for all this is:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:H.R.4205:

1 . National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001 (Introduced in
the House)[H.R.4205.IH]
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c106:1:./temp/~c1060tY1VM::

2 . Floyd D. Spence National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001
(Reported in the House)[H.R.4205.RH]
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c106:2:./temp/~c1060tY1VM::

3 . Floyd D. Spence National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001
(Engrossed in House )[H.R.4205.EH]
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c106:3:./temp/~c1060tY1VM::

4 . Floyd D. Spence National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001
(Placed on the Calendar in the Senate)[H.R.4205.PCS]
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c106:4:./temp/~c1060tY1VM::

5 . National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001 (Public
Print)[H.R.4205.PP]
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c106:5:./temp/~c1060tY1VM::

6 . National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2001 (Engrossed
Senate Amendment)[H.R.4205.EAS]
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c106:6:./temp/~c1060tY1VM::

I hope this makes it easier to research this....

Ian Wallace
MVPA #20862
Criminal Justice Training Center, Seattle, Washington
1960 Ferret Mk 2/3