Re: [MV] Speedo Shimmy i9n 151A1

From: Glenn (dogstar918@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 08:39:14 PDT

Hi Stu
I have always found that a good instrument can bounce when the cable is
binding slightly. You should check the speedo to make sure it has no
problems by swapping in another temproarily. If the problem is definiety
not the speedo(NOS stuff sometimes have problems right out of the box), then
the cable needs either to be lubed or replaced. You can remove the insert
from the cable and lubed it with some good motorcycle cable lube. If there
are any frayed strands then this will do no good and the insert or complete
cable needs to be replaced. A final note re. cables is that all bends
should have as easy a radius as possible. The run under an M151 dash has a
pretty tight turn and this should be made as smooth as possible. Just a
little more of a bend can cause speedo bounce and premature cable failure.
Also the speedo drive gear at the gearbox end should have no stripped teeth
and be fully seated. These steps should cure the problem.

Glenn Shaw MVPA