'42 GPW & MB Tub for sale

From: Chris (cdavis@mail.johnsonmfg.net)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 13:50:08 PDT

Last night I looked at an early GPW (frame, tub and axles on 15” wheels and
tires) and a MB tub. The gentleman selling them wants $500 OBO for them
(including a CJ engine and other misc. parts). He wants to sell the entire
lot, not just a piece or part here and there.

Both tubs were rough, (MB in better shape, not much rust, but transmission
hump cut, fuel tank well cut out and covered, and hole cut in tub for later
style fuel tank neck.) The GPW has frame, axles, and tub. Serial # on
frame was GPW 73451. Which would make it a March ’42 jeep (no glove box
door, no data plates to confirm). It had a license plate BOLTED right over
where the Ford script would be. I looked from the backside and couldn't
see any evidence of the stamping, although it was dark, and the tub was
full of misc. parts. It was a Ford Tub, (Rectangular shaped toolbox lock
indents, ridged toolbox lids.) Even if the script was there, I don't know
if the tub was worth saving. It has diamond plate welded to the floor,
plus all the same cuts the MB tub has. Other parts that caught my eye were:

L head CJ engine (Kaiser Willys Supersonic) looked like all the major
parts where there, but probably of more interest to the CJ forum.

GPW axles, hub to hub, front and rear.

GPW tool box lids (2)
2bolt spare tire carrier (1)
MB tool box lid (1)
MB glove box door
GPW Master Cylinder
GPW pedal assembly
He had some gages, all looked to be CJ or other after-market.
Steering column and box
3 gas can holders… couldn't tell if any were military.
3 steering wheels (all damaged in removal) looked to be original.
CJ grill
Wiper motor (air driven, looked correct.)
CJ5 (or later) windshield

That’s what I can remember. I don't have the space to take the whole lot,
so I'm passing it on. The gentleman’s name is Herald. (Retired, nice
guy.) Located in Southern California, Inland Empire, Grand Terrace. (909)
825-6779

Hope someone can use them.

Chris Davis
’53 M37