Re: [MV] another cruise in olive drab

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 23:40:20 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin Craig" <therobincraig@home.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 2:25 AM
Subject: [MV] another cruise in olive drab

> a new set of headphones for the Clansman intercom when I was in the UK for
> Beltring. I have been unhappy with the afv crewmans helmets as they are
too
> dorky for my taste. These new headsets are great and now that I have
worked
> out how to make the mikes live al the time, it is alot better now as
neither
> the commander or I have to worry about pressel switches. When the foam
boots
> arrive soon that will cut out the wind noise.

Robin,

You have doubtless found that releasing the screw and sliding the small
metal plate across on the bottom of the pressels makes the system live,
however, there is a significant loss of volume doing this of about 6dB.

You will find fitting the anti-wind noise boots accounts for another 6dB or
so loss as these necessarily move the mikes even further away and being
noise cancelling unless you are virtually swallowing the mic it will cancel
a lot of signal. I am guessing the live position is intended for long term
static observation duty as I cannot see how it is enough audio to be useful
with a vehicle in motion, certainly on the sample I have.

Richard
Southampton - England