Re: [MV] Right vs. Choice

From: Thomas McGarry (tmcgarry@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 06:55:19 PDT

As a nurse who worked for over two years in a hospital emergency room I can
tell you that during the summer months in NY State (Which currently has a
helmet law) the is an epidemic of head injury cases due to motorcycles. For
the most part these are young men who will probably live a fairly long life
as long as they don't succumb to pneumonia. Who do you think pays for this
long term care? generally it's the tax payers. I'm not necessarily against
non helmet laws so long as the individuals who chooses not to wear a helmet,
also need to carry enough insurance in order to support themselves for the
rest of their lives, should they have a life changing head injury.
Tom