Re: [MV] Land Rover not on E-bay & IN THE US!

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 10:34:37 PST

>From: WreckerFC@aol.com
>Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:01:48 EDT
>Subject: Re: [MV] Land Rover not on E-bay & IN THE US!
>To: landy@pacificcoast.net
>
>Andre
>
><<I differ on the series 2 transmission being stronger than the series 3.>>
>
>Then how come the IIa box is most sort after by the competition boys in the
>UK.

Rumors and cost.

>Did you know the II and IIa boxes were different?

Yes but they still both break the layshaft behind second and that leaves you
not moving.

>I've blown a few Ser III boxes in the past (with a V8), having syncro on
>first and second was not the best.

True and that I think is the weak link on the series threes but they have
much better metallurgy.The boxes I see a lot are from the Military from the
Suffield base.When they were using the series 2a boxes the average box
lasted 3 weeks before it needed repair whereas the series three boxes double
that.Driver skill also has a lot to do with it.

>Howard

One other weak link on the threes is the main bearing housing.They tend to
spin in the case and I have found this had a lot to do with the rebuilder
whether or not the bearing was pressed in or hammer in.

Andre