Re: [MV] Sherman Tank Transmission

From: Hanno Spoelstra (HL.Spoelstra@inter.NL.net)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 04:12:09 PDT

At 21:21 11-08-2000 -0700, Ian Wallace wrote:
>About thirty years ago he and another chap got hold of a "Sherman tank
>engine and transmission" (he thinks). The engine and transmission were
>attached, and they only wanted to use the engine.

>So if someone is interested, I would need to know a) what a Sherman
>transmission looks like, b) any numbers or other identifying features that
>would help ID the thing, and c) who I should put in contact with the current
>owner.
>
>This transmission is supposedly new as was the engine attached to it. That's
>all I know at the present.

Ian,

The Sherman's engine is not attached to the transmission. The transmission
is up front and the engine is in the back, they are connected by a drive shaft.
The Sherman's transmission consists of a gearbox and a final drive housing.
The final drive housing is armoured and forms part of the front armour of
the tank. Look at any Sherman tank picture to get an idea of what the
exterior looks like.

Judging by your description - engine and transmission attached, sold 30
years ago in the US - I'd say this is an M47/M48 Patton transmission.

Best regards,
Hanno Spoelstra
Delft, The Netherlands