Re: [MV] WTB 6.2

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 10:52:50 PDT

At 06:50 AM 8/7/00 EDT, MVTrucker@aol.com wrote:
>Listers,
>Now that I am accumulating CUCV's, both M1008 and M1009 (Chevrolet
>Blazer and pickups), I feel the need to have some parts on hand for the
>inevitable day of a breakdown, so I'm looking for a 6.2 diesel engine. It
>doesn't have to be running, but I'll need assurance that there's no cracks
>in the heads or block. Since I would pick it up, I prefer to find one within
>a 3-4 hour drive from southern NJ.
>Any leads will be appreciated.
>Joe Young
>Defender of Freedom, yours and mine.

Can't help you with your search, but we have a bunch of Humvee's and
a good half-dozen CUCV's or so, and when we've had occasion to have
the odd engine rebuilt, we wind up sending a ton of miscellaneous 6.2
bits down to the rebuilders to shave some points off of the final bill.

One day, he calls us to ask if we can send him whatever heads we might
have around. I answered that I was pretty sure they were all cracked, but
was told to send them anyway because:

"Oh, they're all cracked - the trick is to find the ones that aren't cracked
  too badly."

I believe two heads out of the dozen or so we sent down wound up being
crackless, to the utter astonishment of the rebuilder.

For road spares we carry spare fuel filters, certainly, and for multi-day
shoots I like to have a spare glow plug controller card, relay and
coolant temp sensor (Glow Plug). 'Course, I can never seem to keep
enough stock for spares, so....<grin>

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.